Cavalier King Charles Spaniels are decorative indoor dogs. They are distinguished by their interesting appearance and compact size. Cavalier puppies usually arrive at a new home on the 30th day after birth. From this moment on, care for the growth and development of the puppy falls entirely on the shoulders of the owner. How a small spaniel will gain weight and gain in height depends on its health and strength in adulthood.
Height and Weight Parameters for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
At birth, a puppy of this breed weighs from 350 to 550g. By the time the dog reaches the age of one month, its body weight will increase 5-6 times and reach the mark of 2-3 kg. Such a leap in development is typical for dogs of almost all breeds.
Further, the dog develops according to the following pattern:
- in the period from the second to the sixth month of life, the bodyweight of a growing puppy increases by 3 times, growth by 2.
- at the age of six months, breast development ends;
- by 4-6 months, the girth of the metacarpus is stabilized;
- from 6 to 10 months and further up to a year, the growth rate slows down, even more, body weight increases by 25-30%, height at the withers by 10%.
A dog that has reached one and a half years of age can be considered fully adult. The parameters of her height and weight reach the requirements established by the standard: height at the withers – 25-30 cm, bodyweight – from 4 to 8 kg.
The following factors can slow down the development of the dog:
- a large number of puppies in the litter;
- insufficient nutrition during the sucking period:
- genetic diseases;
- transferred viral and bacterial infections;
- improperly selected diet;
To understand that a dog is growing well and gaining sufficient weight during the first year of life, it must be regularly taken to the veterinarian. The specialist will be able to see even minor manifestations of deviations.