Dog frisbee, dog frisbee, or disc dogging is a dog sport with a throwing disc. Different variants and tricks make the sports individual. If you are serious about it, you can take part in tournaments.
Different Types of Competition with Dog Frisbee
Dog Frisbee comes from the USA. The sport is not yet as common as other dog sports, such as agility, flyball, or obedience, but it is becoming more and more popular. Competitions are divided into three disciplines.
Similar to dog dancing, there is a freestyle with music that lasts two minutes. Up to seven Frisbees can be used. Choreography, difficulty, throwing technique, and caught throws are included in the evaluation, as is the interaction between dog and human.
In the mini distance, dog and person must stay in a marked playing field. As many points as possible should be scored in 60 seconds. Each disc caught by the dog is worth points. The number of points depends on the distance of the throw.
In the long-distance, the thrower has three throws. The longest throw in which the dog catches the disc in the air gives points.
Dog Breeds for Dog Frisbee
Basically, every healthy dog is suitable for Dog Frisbee. The dog must not be too young. Most breeds take up to 18 months to reach adulthood. Some breeds of dogs take even longer. Jumping and landing too early can damage bones and joints. It is also bad for a healthy skeleton.
Tricks and Fun
Discdogging is a good way to have fun with your dog and learn new tricks and tricks. There are no fixed rules, so the thrower and his dog are completely free to decide how the game is organized. However, a few basic rules should still be observed when playing Frisbee.
Good preparation is everything. The person should first practice throwing alone or with another person.
Only if the person throws confidently can the dog really catch the Frisbee.
Build Up the Workout Slowly
- When the dog starts training, it should not have eaten anything three hours beforehand. Otherwise, he could throw up or suffer a stomach torsion while playing.
- Only Frisbee discs that are suitable for dogs should be used so that the risk of injury to the dog remains low. The throwing discs specially developed for dogs are unbreakable and can be bent easily. They shouldn’t be too heavy and should be replaced regularly.
- The ground must not be hard, frozen, or made of stone or concrete. These substrates do not spring enough. In addition, it should be level and not have any holes.
- The dog is warmed up with running games. Then he is shown the Frisbee. He has to understand that he is not only allowed to run after the glass, but also to bite into it. He learns this best when the person holds it out to the dog at head height and encourages him to bite.
- Once the dog has understood this, the Frisbee is rolled away from him so that he runs after it, catches it, and brings it back. The exercise is repeated until it works properly.
- Then the Frisbee is thrown lightly so that it slowly sinks down almost straight to the point. The dog is supposed to snap them in the air. It is important that he doesn’t have to walk far and that he gets a feel for the timing. But he has to jump and land properly. Either with all four paws at the same time or with the front legs first.
- If the exercise works well, the Frisbee is thrown gradually. Over time, more and more difficult combinations and different throwing techniques are added.
Just for Fun or for Competition
Dog Frisbee is a fun pastime for the dog. A lot of training is necessary to take part in competitions. Dog Frisbee is offered in some dog schools, but there are also clubs. The latter is the right place to go for anyone who wants to train and participate in dog frisbee competitions.