Goldfish have been used as pets for more than a thousand years, and they have not lost their popularity at all. They are large and mostly hardy fish that are easy to keep in your home aquarium. However, it is better not to save on the volume of the latter.
The compatibility of goldfish with other ornamental species is a difficult question. On the one hand, for many aquarists, goldfish and other tropical species coexist perfectly, on the other, such a neighborhood in any literature is strongly discouraged. Let’s try to understand all the intricacies of the joint keeping of goldfish with the rest of the aquarium inhabitants.
- A species aquarium is an ideal option for keeping goldfish. This means that only one or more breeds of goldfish live together. Such cohabitation will be optimal, only it should be remembered that at least 30 liters of water should fall on one individual.
- Goldfish are divided into two large groups: long-bodied, closest to their natural form (comets, shubunkins), and short-bodied (telescope, oranda, etc.). It is not recommended to keep representatives of different groups together. This is due to the fact that long-bodied breeds are more active and can offend sluggish short-bodied fish.
- Goldfish are cold-water animals, the comfortable temperature for most of them is 18-23 ° С. Tropical ornamental fish prefer warmer water – from 24 ° C and above. This is another argument against living together with golden and other species.
- Many goldfish can grow more than 15 cm in length, so only large representatives are allowed to be selected as companions. Any neighbor who can fit the goldfish in the mouth will sooner or later be eaten.
- Among the breeds of goldfish, there are many varieties with unusually long fins. The presence of such “veils” excludes their content with active and cocky fish, for example, barbs and cichlids, which will certainly bite such beauty.
- The diet of goldfish consists primarily of plant foods. They love to eat the tender parts of aquatic plants or dig them up by digging in the ground. Hence it follows that you can combine goldfish only with a limited number of species of living plants.
- Goldfish also have a high love for digging up the soil, which leads to the rise of silt from it and the cloudiness of the water. Many ornamental species that prefer clear and transparent water, as well as fish living near the bottom, will not like this.
Compatible fish species
- Compatible fish species
Joint habitation of goldfish of different breeds will be the most optimal type of cohabitation. So you get a wonderful species aquarium with the same conditions of keeping and feeding. The only limitation: do not mix long-bodied and short-bodied breeds together.
- Koi carps
Ornamental pond carps get along well with long-bodied breeds of goldfish. Here you should pay attention to the appropriate volume of the aquarium, or keep the fish in a decorative pond.
Peaceful corridors work surprisingly well with goldfish. Therefore, if the temperature regime is suitable for keeping these catfish, then they can be safely planted in an aquarium.
Similar to the corridors, the thoracotomy catfish also live great in the same aquarium with goldfish. These aquatic inhabitants occupy different niches and, in principle, they have nothing to share among themselves.
Relatively compatible species
Large mollies can also be recommended for keeping with goldfish. They are unlikely to fit a goldfish in the mouth, and they themselves do not feel much love for nibbling fins.
The compatibility of goldfish and gourami is rather ambiguous. These representatives of the labyrinth have sizes close to the parameters of most gold ones and are usually peaceful. However, there are some individuals that keep the entire aquarium in fear, and here the neighboring goldfish may not be in good health.
Tetras get along well with goldfish. They are so peaceful that conflicts between these species will never arise. However, in this case, we are talking exclusively about young goldfish. Adult goldfish can easily devour the small tetra.
Young goldfish go well with zebrafish. Zebrafish tolerate temperatures that are comfortable for golden, are not aggressive, do not touch long fins. However, for grown-up individuals, zebrafish can become live food.
The barbs will hunt the long fins of goldfish daily until they are left with only skeletons. Therefore, combining these fish together is strongly discouraged.
Guppies are not suitable for keeping with golds, not only because of the difference in comfortable temperatures but also because of the miniature size of live-bearers, which large golds will swallow without effort. Not to mention the plucked tails of the males.
Although adult angelfish are similar in size to goldfish, they should not be kept together. Fish-angels still will not give them rest, they will chase and bite fins.
- African cichlids
Most aggressive cichlids native to Africa are extremely territorial and will constantly attack goldfish. Therefore, they should be immediately excluded from the list of possible companions.
- American cichlids
Housing goldfish and large American cichlids (cichlids, astronomies) together would be a very bad idea. These predatory fish consider goldfish only gastronomically and will destroy them quite quickly.
Swordsmen are famous fans of pinching fins, so goldfish will not find the long-awaited peace in their aquariums.
The comfortable temperature for the discus is 30-32 ° C. For goldfish, such water is higher than all permissible values, therefore such cohabitation is completely excluded.
What you should pay attention to? Aquarium volume
When keeping goldfish, a large aquarium volume is very important. This is due to the fact that representatives of certain breeds can grow up to 20 cm, and besides, goldfish are unusually voracious, which means they release a lot of waste into the water. Maintaining a balance in such an environment, especially on a small scale, will require considerable effort. Therefore, when purchasing goldfish, keep in mind that the minimum volume of the aquarium for one individual should be at least 30 liters.