A large hardy breed created for working in the North is the Alaskan Malamute. Dogs have not only a powerful body but also a strong character. They can be easily confused with wolves, which are considered to be the wild ancestors of the breed. Choosing the right puppy, proper care, and constant training is what is needed for a long life of a pet in the family.
The pet is considered friendly. Unlike other brothers, he is equally welcoming both with the owner and with other family members, guests, and brothers.
The Alaskan Malamute hates loneliness, the characteristics of the breed suggest that it constantly needs affection, attention, and companions for the games that children may well become. Although he is a bad nanny. The dog is suitable for those who are ready to pay a lot of attention to it, to constantly walk for a long time.
Another characteristic of the Alaskan Malamute is a sharp mind combined with natural stubbornness. The pet will constantly try to dominate both the family and the pack. It can arrange provocative checks of the foundations, therefore training and full control from one owner is necessary. The pet does not possess protective qualities.
Newbies often ask breeders if Alaskan Malamute barks or not? This is another feature of this unusual breed. Real barking from these dogs can be heard extremely rarely, which surprises many. Often, their “conversation” is more like grumbling, which is not typical of other dogs.
Care and maintenance
It requires regular exercise and many hours of active outdoor walks. Outdoor maintenance does not exempt the owner from daily training and playing with the dog. The Alaskan Malamute puppy will accept the owner as a leader only after a few months and will follow his commands.
In addition to walking, it is important to properly care for your pet’s coat. During the molting period, it is combed out every other day, and in winter and summer at least once a week.
Some breeders recommend blow-drying the dog after bathing using a special brush to prevent tangling.
Ears should be cleaned every week with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide.
The claws are cut if necessary.
Brushing your teeth is important regularly at least once a week using a special brush and toothpaste.
Knowing all the features of the breed, it cannot be said that the Alaskan Malamute dog is categorically unsuitable for an apartment. She can live well in the city if the owner is ready to pay attention to the pet and constantly walk with him. Arrange games with a stick or a ball on the street, drive to special areas for walking and training animals. Take with you on vacation combined with active sports.
- Friendliness and dedication. These are affectionate and kind animals, sincerely attached to their owners.
- Very beautiful appearance.
- Smart, very smart dogs. To gain attention and affection from the owner, the malamute can cheat and, for example, pretend to be sick. And having received his share of tenderness, run on to play.
- Malamutes have a playful and cheerful disposition, they especially like long walks, jogging in the fresh air, outdoor games.
- They are excellent hunters due to their pronounced natural instinct.
- Peacefulness, very low aggressiveness towards humans.
- This is a real family dog that loves all family members. She does not like to be alone, she needs constant contact with people. It’s not scary to leave a child with a malamute, as these dogs simply adore children.
- Unpretentious care. Malamutes do not smell like dogs, they can be washed several times a year. It is enough to comb out their luxurious coat 1-2 times a week, only during the shedding period it is required to do it daily. The nails should be trimmed periodically using a special nail clipper. Ears should be cleaned 2 times a week.
- Malamute can be kept outdoors in winter and not be afraid that it will freeze.
- Although the dog is large, it does not eat too much, and you can not be afraid to go broke on its food. You can feed the animal both with specialized dry food and natural products (raw fresh meat, fish, cottage cheese, boiled vegetables). An adult dog needs to be fed 2 times a day, and a puppy 3 times. To avoid digestive problems, you can not feed your pet sweets and starchy foods. You can consult your veterinarian to help you get the right diet for your pet.
- Malamutes have a strong desire to dominate, not only among other domestic animals but also over humans. The owner should immediately show the dog and confirm all the time that he is a leader, a “leader”. There are some simple rules to help you with this. First, you need to feed the dog after the owner. Secondly, the dog must also enter the house, letting the owner go ahead. And third – on command, the dog must leave the room.
- The Malamute is not the right dog to keep to guard your home. Bad watchmen come out of them since this is not an aggressive breed at all. Only due to the size and “wolf” appearance, animals have an impressive appearance, but they will behave friendly with a stranger, flirt, and wag their tail.
- It is undesirable to keep such a large and “woolen” pet in an apartment, it needs space and air. This breed is more suitable for life in the countryside in a private house with a large territory. Malamutes like to walk alone and can run away, so the site should be surrounded by a high fence.
- You can not leave a malamute in the house alone for a long time, because it
excessive energy, having no other way out, is transferred to household items.
- These dogs are very fond of digging the ground, this is their innate instinct. If the owner on the site has any beds, flower beds, then they may suffer. You need to teach the animal to dig in a certain place, for example, to make a special sandbox.
- Dogs shed twice a year and you need to be prepared for scraps of fur lying all over the place.
- It is imperative to engage in raising a pet since these dogs have a complex character, they are smart but stubborn, they may refuse to follow commands if they get bored. Therefore, the owner needs to be patient and start training the dog from an early age. Moreover, training is best done in a playful way and praise the puppy for each correctly executed command. But shouting and physical strength during training do not need to be used, since this will not help to achieve the best result, but, on the contrary, will not allow you to establish contact with the animal.
- Since this is a breed of sled dogs, they require serious physical activity in the form of long and frequent walks, active games. The owner must have time for this.