Small white dogs, with the appearance of a soft toy and a mischievous character, in the recent past were noble burrowing hunters. But now the West Highland White Terrier is more of a decorative dog, however, possessing such an absolutely necessary hunting skill as clearing the territory from neighboring cats. Yes, the West Highland White Terrier may or may not be digging. Although no: he cannot “not dig” … But let’s move on to the merits of the West Highland White Terrier.
Characteristics of the breed
West Highland White Terriers have a cheerful and playful disposition. This is a gentle, kind, and loyal pet. West Highland White Terrier: The character is renowned for its stubbornness, playfulness, and love of loud barking. Therefore, from an early age, you need to engage in the upbringing and training of your pet.
The small size does not detract from the agility of this dog: in the event of danger, it can stand up both for itself and for the owner, using strong teeth. However, without a reason not to show their protective qualities. West Terriers are intelligent and easy to train at home. The activity of the pet is often over the edge, so he needs to ensure regular walking. West Highland White Terrier will be an excellent companion in active games and travel. Pets can also support passive relaxation if you want to relax at home.
West Highland White Terrier: A description of the breed would be incomplete without a reminder of its hunting past. Despite its small size and cute appearance, he remembers his roots and can become an assistant in burrowing hunting. Like most terriers, dogs love to dig holes and bark loudly, but despite this, they are distinguished by good manners. Such dogs are loyal to their owner and get bored if left alone for a long time. Having decided to have a puppy, be ready to train your baby to use the toilet on the street.
Care and maintenance
Whitecoat requires proper care: to make your pet look neat, you need to comb it out at least twice a week. You need to wash the dog as it gets dirty, but do not do it too often. The dog’s coat needs to be cut or trimmed. Pluck the hair around the eyes, ears, and between fingertips. In hygiene, hair is trimmed at the tail, claws are regularly trimmed.
What to feed? West Highland White Terrier puppies’ first foods include low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, and milk porridge. At the age of 2-3 months, when the puppy begins to cut teeth, include fruits, vegetables, and offal in the diet.
At the age of 9-10 months, when the puppy is already considered an adult, milk is excluded from the standard diet. Preference is given to products based on potatoes, rice, duck. It is undesirable to give your pet dry food.
Before buying a puppy, it is important to familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of the breed in advance.
- the dog can be kept in the house (apartment);
- it does not cause allergies among residents, since its coat does not shed;
- easy to learn;
- the West Highland White Terrier gets along with all the members;
- easily adaptable to the city. There is no trouble on the street;
- West Highland White Terrier is loyal, funny, playful, and courageous friends;
- the stamina of the pet, shown in long walks;
- suitable for families with children of secondary school age, people with an active lifestyle.
- a prerequisite is regular walks, active games;
- it is required to carefully monitor the condition of the coat;
- the breed is wayward, strict education is necessary;
- West Highland White Terriers have the best white coat that gets dirty when walking;
- loud frequent barking.