Bloodhound is an unusual pet. The dog is often used to catch criminals. The dog is a good scent finder and reliable tracker. The dog is involved in search and rescue and military operations. In addition, Bloodhounds can perform in the show, as they are perfectly amenable to training.
Today these pets are kept as family companions.
Bloodhounds are powerful dogs with colorful appearance:
- The head is large and square in profile. When the head is tilted, the skin sags noticeably. This feature is more pronounced in males.
- A large nose has a black or brown lobe. The lips are soft and wide, the upper one covers the lower one. The surface of the lips in dogs with pigmentation in the color of the nose.
- Scissor bite. The jaw has powerful white teeth.
- Eyes of medium size and regular shape (neither protruding nor sunken). Eye color – dark (brown, black, hazel). Some individuals have amber eyes. The look in dogs is kind and a little bored, in the corners of the eyes there is often redness due to the upper eyelids hanging on them.
- The ears are set low, pleasant to the touch, thin.
- The neck is long and muscular, like most of the breed. It allows pets to touch the ground, chasing prey by smell.
- The back is firm and straight, the loin is strong. The chest is wide, and the tail is dense, saber-shaped.
- The limbs are strong, muscular, and the elbows are set correctly.
- The skin is soft and elastic, it forms folds on the face. If there is a lot of it on the body, it can be perceived as a breed defect.
The coat of dogs is dense, hard to touch. It perfectly protects pets from the cold. In the region of the skull, the hair is somewhat softer and more pleasant, and along the tail line, it is longer and coarser.
Bloodhounds have three possible coat colors:
- Red & black. In this case, the drawing can be in the form of a raincoat or a scoop.
- Redhead. Over time, the shade from dark turns into a lighter tone. If the color of the color alternates the other way around (from light to dark), then this is not welcome.
- Colored areas have an indistinct separation, and in the black areas, there may be blotches of light color. White patches on the coat are acceptable.
History of the Breed
The breed is one of the oldest dogs on the planet. The date and place of its origin are still unknown. But breeders from Belgium have improved the breed. Belgian roots helped the dog improve its qualities, but the Bloodhound gained its popularity and development in England. It was there that the local nobility was interested in keeping and breeding old hounds.
Before the Bloodhound entered the territory of Europe, it was bred in one of the Belgian monasteries. The fact that the dog first came to England, there are records dating back to the 10th century. The fame of the Bloodhound, a dog with excellent hunting abilities, immediately spread across the island.
Like the German Shepherd, the Bloodhound has a well-developed flair for finding people and objects. This property of the animal was first noticed by the Americans. So, the pet could easily find a person hiding in the impenetrable thickets of the forest. And the endurance of the dogs allowed them to search all day.
Bloodhounds get used to people very quickly. They adore their family and are considered conservative. Everything new does not fascinate dogs as much as established traditions. So, the dog remembers well holidays and family rituals. And she just loves to follow them. Bloodhounds are happy when the family takes them with them on a trip, for a walk, to the store, guests, and other places. If it is customary in the family to gather on the sofa in the living room every evening, drink tea, and have intimate conversations, the dog will wait for this event all day. Once having enjoyed the family pastime, Blood will look forward to its repetition.
By temperament, dogs do not belong to those breeds that quickly memorize everything. But if you repeat the rules regularly, sooner or later the Bloodhound will remember them. The main thing is to show love and attention to the pet and encourage him for the right actions, then he will try more to please the owner. The Bloodhound is a friendly dog that has a good sense of the mood and emotional state of an owner.
This breed does not tolerate a long time of separation from the owner. In this connection, he needs to be taught to stay at home himself. Regarding whether the pet will cause damage to things and furniture if it is at home, there is a clear answer – no. Blood will not allow himself such extremes.
In caring for a dog, an important place is given for walks in the fresh air. There should be enough of them. Moreover, dogs get along well with their relatives, are very sociable, and play with other pets with pleasure. It is allowed to take puppies out into the street at 3-4 months, so the problem of toilet training will be quickly resolved and will be remembered by the dogs.
Adult dogs quickly adapt to the owner’s new environment and daily routine. When it comes to hygiene, the Bloodhound has a problem with salivation. Therefore, it is important to always have a handkerchief with you, which will remove the pet’s drool. But the discharge is not as much as that of a St. Bernard or a Bulldog. And even this problem can be solved by teaching your pet from puppyhood to wipe drooling on a towel on its own.
It is important to wipe the folds on your pet’s face with a damp towel several times a week. The dog needs to clean his ears, wipe his eyes, watch the claws of the animal. Water procedures are arranged for the dog no more than once every 2-3 months.
Bloodhounds are considered strong and resilient dogs. Over the hundreds of years of their existence, Bloodhounds have acquired good immunity. However, they are still prone to some diseases. These include:
- dysplasia of the joints;
- dermatitis of the skin folds;
- cherry eye;
- eversion and inversion of the century;
It is important to give your pet a timely vaccination. Several times in six months, carry out antihelminthic prophylaxis. Also, you need to treat the animal from parasites with special ointments or sprays once a month.
The Bloodhound is a large pet that has a reputation as a search dog. The animal is suitable for any family. He is good-natured and fearless, very sociable, and happy to be friends with other dogs.
Bloodhound care is not difficult. It is necessary to educate him from an early age, but by nature, he is already socialized. Bloodhounds require regular walking and outdoor activities.