Is Monstera Toxic to Cats?

Hardly any other houseplant is currently as popular as the Monstera. The green plant is also known under the name window leaf and brings a tropical feeling into the home with its large, green leaves. But the Monstera has one major disadvantage: all parts of the plant are poisonous to cats.

Is Monstera Deliciosa Toxic to Cats?

  • There are numerous species of Monstera, the best known being Monstera deliciosa, Monstera adansonii, Monstera acuminate, and Monstera obliqua.
  • All window leaf types contain oxalic acid, among other things, and are poisonous for cats.
  • The dangerous toxins cause irritation of the mucous membranes, stomach discomfort, and, with regular consumption, even kidney damage.

Monstera Plant is Poisonous to Cats

The bad news first: All plant parts of the Monstera are poisonous for cats. The reason for this is the sap inside the window leaf. This is found in the roots as well as in the leaves and contains several substances that are dangerous for cats. These components of Monstera are poisonous to cats:

  • Oxalic acid: In larger quantities, the contained oxalic acid has a negative effect on the cardiovascular system and the health of the kidneys.
  • Calcium oxalate: A crystalline salt of oxalic acid that irritates the mucous membranes and can cause ulcers and kidney stones.
  • Resorcinol: Another substance harmful to cats that can damage the nervous system.
  • Bitter substances and pungent substances: These substances serve the plant to ward off predators. However, cats are often not deterred by the bitter taste.

Symptoms of Poisoning From the Monstera

The large, spreading leaves of the Monstera are great food for cats. The playful and curious house tigers prefer to explore the green jungle with their claws and teeth. The toxic active ingredients of the Monstera can get into the cat’s organism and lead to plant poisoning. How dangerous it also depends on the amount eaten.

A quick nibble usually does not cause any symptoms, but consumption of the leaves often leads to irritation of the mucous membranes and the digestive tract.

Typical symptoms when consuming the poisonous monstera are:

  • Profuse salivation;
  • Nausea and vomiting;
  • Gastrointestinal complaints such as diarrhea;
  • Irritation of the mucous membranes in the area of the mouth;
  • Staggering or trembling;
  • General malaise, the cat withdraws;
  • When consuming large amounts: kidney problems.

When the Cat Has Eaten Monstera

Has your cat nibbled on the window leaf and is now showing symptoms of poisoning? Then see a veterinarian. They will treat your pet appropriately so that your velvet paw will recover quickly.

In the future, make sure that the cat does not have access to the window leaf and does not nibble on the plant again.

So that it doesn’t even get that far, keep your Monstera out of your cat’s reach.

Alice White

Written by Alice White

Alice White, a devoted pet lover and writer, has turned her boundless affection for animals into a fulfilling career. Originally dreaming of wildlife, her limited scientific background led her to specialize in animal literature. Now she happily spends her days researching and writing about various creatures, living her dream.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *