In order to do something good for loved ones, one is often tempted to give them food safe for humans instead of cat food. However, many owners do not consider that foods that are harmless to us can quickly become dangerous for our four-legged friends. Therefore, you should find out exactly what your house tiger can tolerate and what it should keep its paws off of.
Pettime has put together a list of foods that are dangerous or even poisonous for cats, of which your cat should not eat or only eat a significantly smaller amount. This includes not only the well-known chocolate, which can be very dangerous for your animal but also some food that you certainly would not have expected.
Chocolate can also cause dangerous symptoms of poisoning in dogs and cats. The snack contains theobromine, a substance that your cat’s metabolism cannot process and that damages the nervous system and heart of cats.
Large rations of chocolate can be very dangerous for the animal or even lead to death.
Pome and Stone Fruits
The stones and pits of apples, apricots, pears, grapes, cherries, etc. are toxic to cats because they contain cyanogenic glycosides. These types of fruit are therefore not one of the cats’ favorite fruits. This ingredient can cause symptoms of poisoning in house tigers and have serious consequences. If you are concerned that your animal may have swallowed a core, you should go to the vet.
It is not a bad idea to give a cat a little canned tuna from time to time. But regular consumption of tuna is not good for them. Canned tuna contains way too much salt and can cause serious kidney problems in the long term. In addition, canned tuna does not contain taurine. The acid is very important for the heart and eyesight of cats.
Finally, cats love tuna, so if you keep feeding them tuna, they may not want to eat anything else.
Raw Onions and Garlic
Raw onions and garlic are toxic to cats because they contain sulfur derivatives, which act on the animal’s red blood cells. They cause vomiting and diarrhea, anemia, palpitations, and tremors.
Potatoes, Cabbage, and Beets
These vegetables are bad for cats because they ferment in their stomachs, causing gas and diarrhea. Raw potatoes contain calcium oxalate, which can damage the urinary tract of animals and cause kidney stones.
Some mushrooms are poisonous and can cause liver and neurological problems or, in the worst case, death.
Avocados contain persin, which can damage the heart and lungs of animals. Avocados are also high in fats, which can lead to inflammation of the pancreas.
The high phosphorus content of nuts and their difficult digestion in animals make nuts another food that is better to avoid.
Macadamia nuts can also cause a high fever, debilitating the animal, and causing an increased heart rate. Nutmeg can cause hallucinations if ingested in too large quantities.
Giving milk to a cat is not a good idea, even if many still think so. Some cats are allergic to this, and once weaned, they no longer produce enough lactase to properly digest the lactose in milk. Adult cats can therefore no longer tolerate milk.
Cats are not allowed to drink coffee. Caffeine can make your heart rate faster. It only takes a small amount of coffee to poison a cat.
My Cat Ate Poisonous Food, What Should I Do?
If a pet has ingested dangerous food, contact a veterinarian as soon as possible and provide a clear indication of the amount consumed and the composition of the food.
It is important to respond as quickly as possible, but no later than two hours after ingesting the food. Instead, offer your four-legged friend cat grass, he will thank you for it.