What to Do If a Cat Gets Stung by a Bee?

Insect bites on cats, whether by bees or wasps, are extremely painful for four-legged friends too. But what should you do if your beloved cat is stung by a wasp? Does she belong to the vet right away?

What Happens If a Cat Gets Stung by a Wasp?

  • Wasp stings are painful but mostly harmless;
  • A visit to the vet is not absolutely necessary;
  • Use a cooling pad to cool the swelling;
  • In the event of allergic reactions and a sting in the mouth, the animal must be taken to the veterinarian immediately.

Recognize the Wasp Sting on the Cat

The risk of a wasp sting is particularly high in summer – whether in the outdoors or in house cats. The movements and humming of the wasp stimulate the velvet paw’s hunting instinct: the cat wants to catch or even eat the wasp – and it happens. But how can a wasp sting be recognized?

Cry of pain, withdrawal, and swelling

At the moment of the sting, the cat is in severe pain. She screams out loud and jumps aside. This is followed by panicky, hectic behavior and possibly increased salivation. The cat runs away and withdraws, probably to a sheltered place in the home. Swelling will appear very soon. You can tell that it is actually a wasp sting from a simple indication: the insect is not dead where it happened. Unlike bees and bumblebees, wasps do not die once they have stung. They fly happily on their way.

What to Do in the Event of an Insect Bite? First-aid Measures in the Cat

Has it got your beloved house tiger? No reason to panic! If there is no allergy, a visit to the vet is not absolutely necessary. The kitten still needs help. Here are some things you can do to ease the pain and reduce the swelling.

  • Examine the sting and remove the stinger: Usually, the wasp’s stinger does not get stuck. However, this can happen in individual cases. The so-called poison bag is attached to the front part of the sting. It continues to secrete venom as long as the sting is stuck. Therefore, examine the affected area and remove the stinger with tweezers if necessary.
  • Cooling the swelling: A swelling soon appears at the injection site. Depending on how strongly the cat reacts to the poison, the swelling will be bigger or smaller. Either way, refrigeration is now the best medicine. To do this, simply press the swelling gently with a cooling pad or a damp cloth.
  • Wait: Now the cat needs rest. On the one hand, she is recovering from the shock. On the other hand, such severe pain is exhausting for the body. The whole organism fights against the poison, which makes the animal tired. Let your velvet paw relax in their retreat. If there are no further complications, the all-clear applies. After a few days, Kitty should be back to normal.

When Does the Cat Have to Go to the Vet?

Usually, a wasp sting is not a reason to see your vet right away.

If the cat is allergic, there is no time to lose. A wasp sting in the mouth can also be life-threatening.

Allergic reaction

You can tell whether there is an allergic reaction very soon after the actual bite. Which symptoms occur and how severe they depend on the severity of the allergy. The following reactions are considered alarming and are indications of an acute allergic reaction. In this case, a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.

  • Shortness of breath
  • Circulatory problems (dizziness, staggering, weakness)
  • Swelling stronger than usual, also extensive around the puncture site
  • Fluid-filled vesicles around the sting

Wasp sting in the mouth

A wasp sting in the mouth can be very dangerous for the cat, this applies to a greater extent in combination with an allergy. If the cat wants to eat and swallow the wasp, the insect sticks into the throat. The swelling caused by the sting presses on the airways. The swelling may even block the windpipe. So now it is important to act immediately: The animal must immediately go to a veterinarian.

First-aid measures in the cat are difficult to perform. The injured animal feels vulnerable and is accordingly irritated. Of course, it also doesn’t want to be touched on the painful area. The best thing to do is to get a helper quickly. So one can hold the animal and fix it a little. Meanwhile, the other examines the sting and cools the swelling. If that doesn’t work because the cat struggles, hisses, scratches, and bites, you should take the animal to the vet if in doubt.

Judy Taylor

Written by Judy Taylor

Judy Taylor combines her love of science and writing to educate pet owners. Her articles on pet wellness, published on a variety of platforms, reveal a deep passion for animals. With a teaching background and shelter volunteer experience, Judy brings expertise to the fields of writing and compassionate pet care.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *