Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?

Chocolate can be found in almost every household. It can happen that the dog snacks something secretly. Then things get dangerous: Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. In severe cases, it can even be fatal. You can read everything you should know about chocolate for dogs here.

Is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

  • Dogs are never allowed to eat chocolate;
  • Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that is toxic to dogs;
  • The amount of chocolate consumed determines the consequences;
  • Larger amounts can be fatal, see a veterinarian!

Why Is Chocolate Bad for Dogs?

No! Chocolate contains various substances that dogs are not good for, such as sugar and milk. But the theobromine is what makes chocolate really dangerous. Theobromine is an alkaloid and is closely related to caffeine. It can be very toxic to dogs.

My Dog Ate Chocolate…

In humans, theobromine provides the “kick” in chocolate and can be easily broken down. In dogs, however, the breakdown is very slow because they have a completely different metabolism. At the same time, theobromine causes severe symptoms in the body and can lead to death.

My Dog Ate Chocolate: Symptoms

If your dog has eaten a large amount of chocolate, the following symptoms may occur:

  • Increased blood pressure;
  • Increased heart rate;
  • Narrowing of the blood vessels and internal bleeding;
  • Restlessness;
  • Tremble;
  • Hyperreflexia (increased muscle reflexes);
  • Seizures;
  • Diarrhea and vomiting;
  • Cardiac arrhythmia;
  • Apnea.

Severe seizures usually occur in the dog within the first 12 hours.

How Much Chocolate Can Kill a Dog?

It is not entirely clear how much chocolate becomes really dangerous for dogs. The degree of the poisoning depends on the following factors:

  • Size and weight of the dog;
  • Age of the dog;
  • Amount of chocolate the dog ate;
  • Theobromine content in chocolate.

The more cocoa there is in a chocolate, the higher its theobromine content. It is therefore particularly dangerous with dark and bitter chocolate.

As an approximate guideline, the first symptoms of poisoning appear after eating 20 mg theobromine per kilogram of body weight. A dose of 90mg or more can be fatal in sensitive dogs.

So check how many milligrams of theobromine is in chocolate. At 20mg, 10g of chocolate would be enough for a 10kg dog to cause symptoms.

Can Dogs Eat White Chocolate?

In most cases, there is almost no theobromine in white chocolate. If a dog has eaten white chocolate, it usually does not result in poisoning. So you don’t have to go to the vet.

Nevertheless, white chocolate has no place on a dog’s diet and should not be part of your four-legged friend’s diet.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?

First, make sure how much chocolate your dog ate. In the case of small quantities, things can turn out fine. If he has consumed a critical amount, move him to a quiet place where he can relax. Watch him and look for signs of symptoms.

To be on the safe side, call the vet now. If you experience symptoms, contact the veterinarian immediately. If possible, take the packaging with you.

More Toxic Foods for Dogs

You should also protect your dog from these foods or substances:

  • caffeine
  • nicotine
  • avocado
  • garlic
  • onions
  • liver
  • milk
  • cream
  • raw chicken eggs
  • macadamia nuts
  • raw cabbage (e.g. cauliflower)
Alice White

Written by Alice White

Alice White, a devoted pet lover and writer, has turned her boundless affection for animals into a fulfilling career. Originally dreaming of wildlife, her limited scientific background led her to specialize in animal literature. Now she happily spends her days researching and writing about various creatures, living her dream.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *