Lemons are citrus fruits and are known for their high vitamin C content. Despite the vitamins, caution is advised with the acidic fruits: the citric acid they contain can cause stomach problems in dogs.
Can Dogs Have Lemon?
- Lemons are not poisonous for dogs, but dogs can be sensitive to the acid they contain.
- If consumed in excess, stomach problems and symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting can occur.
- If you want to provide your dog with vitamins, it is better to use more digestible fruits.
Are Lemons Poisonous to Dogs?
Lemons are not poisonous for dogs, but they are also not very well tolerated. The reason for this is the high acid content, which irritates the dog’s stomach. The yellow fruits contain around five percent citric acid. Other ingredients such as essential oils and limonin are also considered to be poorly tolerated by dogs. Even eating small amounts can lead to stomach problems, diarrhea, and vomiting. Incidentally, many dogs instinctively keep their distance from lemons, as the sour smell alone has a deterrent effect.
My Dog Ate Lemon – What Can I Do?
If your dog has eaten a smaller piece of lemon, there is usually nothing to worry about. Since the fruit is not poisonous, there are no signs of poisoning. However, when consuming larger amounts, citric acid can attack the stomach. This leads to stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea. If symptoms are severe or persist for a long time, see a veterinarian. This can provide the dog with medical care in order to fight against the acidity of the stomach. If the dog is otherwise healthy and has no chronic digestive problems, the symptoms often go away on its own.