Chocolate can be found in almost every household because most people love sweets. For cat owners, the question arises: Can my cat eat chocolate? Does it harm her/him, is it poisonous or completely harmless? The answer to these questions is answered in this article.
Can Cats Eat Chocolate?
- Like dogs, cats shouldn’t eat chocolate.
- Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to cats.
- Chocolate consumption can be fatal for cats.
Can Cats Have Chocolate?
The answer to this question is simple: no, cats are not allowed to eat chocolate. The reason for this is the cocoa contained in the chocolate. More precisely, theobromine is contained in cocoa. Theobromine is poisonous to cats and can kill them. Cats can only break down this substance very slowly. Theobromine is an alkaloid and is found in cocoa beans. Many desserts are made with cocoa. Accordingly, the substance, which is dangerous for cats, is found in many sweets, in addition to chocolate, for example, in ice cream or desserts. Most of the theobromine is found in dark and dark chocolate. According to this, these types of chocolate are the most toxic to cats.
Cats naturally have no need for chocolate. The simple reason for this is that cats don’t have a sweet receptor on their tongue. Because of this, it is not often that cats nibble on chocolate. Some cat owners seem to mean well and think that they are doing something good for the cat with chocolate – but the opposite is the case.
What If My Cat Has Eaten Chocolate?
The theobromine is toxic to the cat. If the theobromine poisoning is severe, the cat can die from it. Symptoms of theobromine poisoning are as follows:
- increased blood pressure;
- accelerated pulse;
- narrowing of the blood vessels;
- cardiac arrhythmias;
However, these symptoms do not necessarily have to occur. It depends on the amount of chocolate eaten. In the case of small amounts, it is also possible that poisoning does not occur at all. This depends on the weight of the cat and how well it is tolerated. It has not been scientifically proven from what amount of poisoning occurs. If you are wondering whether chocolate can blind a cat, rest assured. So far there is no evidence of this. Nevertheless, the symptoms mentioned above should of course not be underestimated.
When Do the Symptoms Appear?
The first symptoms show up after about two to four hours. If the cat has eaten a large amount of chocolate, it can die from a theobromine overdose within 12 to 36 hours. If the cat survives, chronic liver damage can occur.
How Can I Prevent Poisoning?
Keep the chocolate in a place that the cat cannot reach. You should also pay attention to the fact that cats are sometimes simply on the prowl and “claw” everything in order to inspect it later in a safe hiding place. Everyone in the household should know about the toxicity of chocolate to cats. Make sure together that the velvety roommate does not get the chocolate in the claws.
What to Do If My Cat Has Eaten Chocolate?
Of course, for some inexplicable reason, a cat may nibble on chocolate. Then act quickly.
- If you discover that your pet has eaten chocolate, you should see a veterinarian immediately.
- Go to the vet even if you don’t experience any symptoms.
- If possible, take the pack of chocolate with you. This allows the vet to better assess the case.
- Do not try to make the cat vomit yourself.
- If treatment begins within two to four hours of consumption, the chances of a cure are good. If the cat has already shown disorders of the central nervous system, the chances are worse.
- Every minute counts!