The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a versatile dog with a rich history. Each breed has its own strengths and weaknesses, on the basis of which each owner selects the ideal pet for himself.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is no exception, so if you are thinking about purchasing such a dog for yourself, then first read the information below.
This is not aggressive but also does not show interest in strangers, has a calm disposition. Since ancient times, these animals have played not only a hunting role but also a protective one. It is these features that are appreciated by owners today. This is a reliable, loyal domestic dog that recognizes its owner as a leader. She is wary of strangers, but not hostile, without aggression.
Ridgebacks are both loyal and independent. This independence sometimes turns into stubbornness. Everyone who has dealt with this breed notes its majesty and intelligence. The dog has a rather strong voice but rarely uses it. Her barking always sounds like a warning if a stranger appears in the house. When the owner is calm, complacent with the guests, the dog understands these emotions and behaves accordingly.
Dogs are supportive of children, accept them as leaders, do not lose their temper, pestered by the child: they would rather leave than show dissatisfaction.
This breed lends itself well to training, dogs like to participate in competitions, run well. Young animals are active but have matured, they gravitate towards comfort, preferring to play games calmly reclining on a sofa, armchair, or rug. Although, like any dogs, they need to be constantly occupied with something and something to train. All commands the dogs follow willingly.
Long walks are beneficial for the animals. In the fresh air, especially outside the city, they are active. In hunting, this is a rather brave, dexterous, and intelligent dog. This breed was bred to hunt a lion, but not in order to take the animal, but to keep it at a safe distance. Dogs have enough courage, intelligence, ability to make their own decisions, so as not to pounce on a predator, and in danger of remaining alive. Agility and maneuverability help this dog.
Ridgebacks rely on their sense of smell and sight to hunt. They are considered specialists in the blood trail and can locate a wounded animal at a great distance.
- This is how experts assess the character of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. This is an intelligent dog, very brave, hardy, but at the same time quiet and independent. Sometimes it may even seem that she is lazy and clumsy, but during walks or walking around her territory, as well as in case of danger, she turns into a real hunter.
- In this breed, such qualities as guarding and hunting are harmoniously combined. Despite the fact that ridgebacks weigh an average of 35 kg, there have been cases when a dog entered into a fight with a lion.
- A dog of this breed has fighting qualities, but getting into a family he gets along well with everyone. You can even leave a middle-aged child with him for a while, and the pet will patiently endure all his whims. He finds a common language with other dogs and animals, especially if they grew up together. However, he can also show aggression, especially towards small animals, since his hunting instincts are well developed.
- He conscientiously guards the homes and property of the owners, and his protective instinct is well developed, and one does not have to teach this. The owner’s job is to train the dog to control this ability.
- Idle, just like that, the Ridgeback never barks. If his barking is heard, this means that an uninvited guest has entered the territory or something strange is happening, which the owners should urgently pay attention to.
- You can walk with a Rhodesian Ridgeback in any weather. He is not afraid of either cold or heat, remaining as active and cheerful during a walk.
- Many dogs in the area in front of the house left behind dug holes. The Rhodesian Ridgeback never does this, but can dig a cave for himself if it is a very hot season.
- What else attracts this dog: it does not salivate, which, for example, is the difference between boxers. In a dream, she does not snore like bulldogs, and there is no unpleasant smell from her, like from a Shar-Pei.
- The handsome Rhodesian Ridgeback looks very impressive, and some people, choosing a breed, prefer it because of its appearance. And then they face difficulties such as the dominant character of the animal. Therefore, it must be borne in mind that only an owner with an imperious strong-willed character will be able to maintain a Rhodesian Ridgeback.
- You will have to devote a lot of time to training, so that in the future the dog fulfills all commands, obeys, and his submissive. Obedience of the dog will be required when it is on a leash, since it is not difficult for a muscular ridgeback, not paying attention to restraining fetters, rushing forward, forcing the owner to run after.
- Ridgebacks are very curious, and while the household is not at home, they can tear, break and spoil many things.
- To keep the dog in good physical shape, it needs to be walked for a sufficient amount of time. It is not difficult for her to overcome huge distances at high speed. Long walks with active games and jogging are what a ridgeback needs. This is in their genes because the first breeders were faced with the task of raising dogs for hunting so that they could move a long distance without a break. Therefore, if there is no such opportunity, the dog will get bored and will restore order in the house.
- If several males live nearby, they may have constant showdowns for dominance, so they should be kept in areas fenced off from each other.
- It is advisable to keep a pet in an area with a large space, it is better if he lives in a backyard. A cramped apartment for a mobile and energetic Ridgeback is not very suitable, especially if he remains alone for a long time. From loneliness, a dog can become violent and do a lot of trouble on the premises.
- The average lifespan of the breed is 10 years.