Dogs are omnivores and do not stop at mushrooms. In order to avoid poisoning or intolerance, there are a few things to consider when feeding mushrooms. Here you can find out whether your dog can eat mushrooms while walking in the woods or at home in the kitchen.
Can Dogs Eat Raw or Cooked Mushrooms?
Mushrooms are non-toxic to dogs and can be fed to dogs every now and then. However, mushrooms are generally difficult to digest. This is especially true for raw mushrooms. Therefore, only give your dog cooked mushrooms. Do not use salt or other spices during preparation and only feed fresh mushrooms that you would also eat yourself. This is the only way you can be sure that the mushrooms are safe and easily digestible for your four-legged friend. If your dog generally suffers from digestive problems, refrain from feeding mushrooms.
Are Mushrooms Suitable for Dogs?
Mushrooms are considered healthy because they contain many important nutrients. The white or brown mushrooms consist of more than 90 percent water and are therefore a low-calorie food. Mushrooms are healthy for dogs primarily because of their high protein content, but also because of the vitamins and minerals they contain. Among other things, mushrooms contain:
- vitamin D
- B vitamins
Paws away from wild mushrooms: mushrooms can easily be mistaken for poisonous mushrooms.
Risk of Poisoning: Wild Mushrooms
There are various types of mushrooms that also grow in our local forests. You should only collect mushrooms yourself as an experienced mushroom picker because mushrooms can quickly be mistaken for poisonous mushrooms. Poisonous mushrooms are very harmful not only to humans but also to dogs and in the worst case can lead to death. Therefore, do not feed wild mushrooms and make sure that your dog does not eat wild mushrooms while walking in the forest.