Paws Off: These Foods are Poisonous for Dogs!

Our four-legged friends have a very strong sense of smell, which is why they always sniff out if something edible is nearby. This is problematic when the sniffed-out source is not one of the good foods for dogs. It is therefore all the more important to find out what the fur nose can tolerate and what does not belong in the bowl.

Wamiz has compiled a list of poisonous foods for dogs below. In addition, foods are listed from which the four-legged friend should only eat a significantly reduced amount. In addition to classics such as chocolate, the list is filled with one or the other food that you might not have suspected.

Chocolate and Cocoa

They definitely belong on the “Never Feed!” List. Anyone looking for poisonous food for dogs on the Internet will inevitably come across chocolate and cocoa. They contain what is known as theobromine. This is a poisonous substance from the tea plant. The theobromine is very difficult to digest and break down in the dog’s body. The question “How much chocolate is fatal for dogs?” Depends on the amount of theobromine it contains.

Just 100 mg and a bar of chocolate lead to cardiovascular failure and are therefore even fatal.

For comparison: 100 grams of white chocolate contains 200 mg of theobromine. The highest concentration of the substance harmful to dogs can be found in cocoa powder because there is already 2,000 mg of the toxic substance per 100 grams.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes or grapes, in general, are taboo for dogs. Not only are they unhealthy, but they are also poison for the dog. In the worst case, they cause severe kidney damage. Particular caution applies in vineyards and on wineries, where the four-legged friend could also eat the “marc”, these are residues that result from the pressed grapes. The harmful active ingredients lead to diarrhea and vomiting. Even 10 grams of grapes per kilo of body weight are dangerous for the dog. The situation is similar with raisins, by the way. The dried grape berries have the same toxic effects as their fresh and juicy relatives (grapes).

Onion, Garlic, Wild Garlic, and Chives

The abovementioned plants and leek species must not migrate into the dog’s stomach under any circumstances. Onions, garlic, leeks, wild garlic, and chives contain extremely dangerous active ingredients for the fur nose. They attack and destroy the red blood cells. There is no minimum or maximum guideline value here, as the effect occurs even with the smallest amounts.

Nuts Like Almonds and Macadamia

There is no question that nuts are poisonous foods for dogs. Macadamia nuts, for example, can cause paralysis and lead to joint and abdominal pain. At the same time, the dog may be allergic to nuts. Peanuts have the greatest allergy potential in dogs. However, bitter almonds are particularly poisonous. They contain hydrogen cyanide, a powerful neurotoxin. You are welcome to read all the important information again in our almond or nut guide.

Coffee and Tea

Poisonous foods for dogs also come in liquid form. Coffee and tea must be kept out of the reach of the four-legged friend. Both are full of caffeine or tea, which in turn contains the so-called methylxanthine. This leads to high blood pressure, accelerated heart rate, and constricted blood vessels. In addition, the nerve stimulus threshold in the brain is reduced. In addition to vomiting and diarrhea, there is restlessness, seizures, and, in the worst case, cardiac arrhythmias.

Sweetener and Candy

Xylitol is contained in sweeteners, which has a damaging effect on the fur nose’s liver. In addition, the intake leads to hypoglycemia. This active ingredient is not only contained in the “classic” sweetener, but also in sugar-free sweets and diet products. For this reason, sweeteners and sweets are also dangerous for the dog.

Beans and Legumes

Many legumes such as beans or lentils are absolutely harmful in their raw state. This is due to the contained phasin. It causes vomiting and bloodred diarrhea. The active ingredient is “defused” by boiling the legumes. Even so, you shouldn’t offer your dog any cooked beans or legumes.


In general, not all of the toxic effects of fungi on four-legged friends have been adequately researched. What is certain, however, is that, in the long term, fungi not only degrade blood but are also carcinogenic. In addition, they cause severe liver and kidney damage.


Persin is very poisonous for our loyal darlings. This active ingredient is contained in avocados. In addition to the high-fat content, which causes diarrhea and vomiting in the animals, the poisonous substance leads to heart muscle damage that is fatal.


Even if all dog owners should be aware of this information, alcohol is extremely harmful to dogs. If you give your animal alcoholic beverages, you poison it. It’s not just the liver that is badly damaged. Vomiting and shortness of breath occur, leading to coma and ultimately death.

Pork Meat

The so-called “Aujetzky” virus is harmless to humans. It is deadly to dogs. It can be found in raw or undercooked pork. If your four-legged friend falls ill with this virus, he usually has a fever and not hunger in addition to vomiting and itching. The virus in pork is killed from a temperature of 60 ° C (does not apply to smoking). But the same applies here: As a precaution, you should also withhold hot-roasted pork from your dog.

Salt, Spicy Foods, and Leftovers

How dangerous is salt to dogs? – In a nutshell, additional salt is never good for your four-legged friends. Whether in snacks or leftovers, the increased salt intake is harmful to the dog’s body. You should be especially careful with animals with heart and kidney problems. Of course, a certain amount of salt is important for a balanced diet, but table salt, for example, has no place in the bowl. In general, it is worth asking the vet about a suitable nutritional concept for your pet if you are unsure.

Fruit Pits and Stone Fruit

Apricots, mirabelle plums, plums, peaches, and cherries belong to the stone fruit category. These contain fruit kernels that contain hydrogen cyanide or even cyanide. Often the stone fruit is easily accessible for the dogs, as it is freely accessible in many meadows and gardens. As soon as the animal crushes and swallows the kernels, the toxins are released in the worst case. The consequences are poisoning and disorders at the neurological level.

Nightshade, Raw Potatoes and Tomatoes

The so-called nightshade family includes the classic potato as well as tomato and aubergine. All of these plants have one thing in common because they contain the active ingredient solanine. This is very toxic for the fur nose and leads to vomiting and diarrhea. Green areas, in particular, are full of solanine, which is why this must always be removed from vegetables.


Often, the liver is fed in small amounts because it is a natural source of vitamin A. That is basically ok too. However, liver delivery in large quantities leads to various problems. In addition to the loss of fur, changes in the bones, vomiting, and skin problems are often unpleasant consequences.

Milk, Cream, and Dairy Products

Whether the dog is allowed to eat cheese or a bowl full of milk may depend on whether they are lactose intolerant. It is not only people who sometimes suffer from lactose intolerance. In principle, most products are therefore not toxic but can lead to unpleasant discomfort and excruciating pain. Symptoms include vomiting, severe gas, and diarrhea. If you want to know which type of cheese is suitable for dogs, stick to lactose-free quark and cottage cheese products.

What to Do If My Dog Has Eaten Toxic Food

As can be seen above, the list of what dogs are not allowed to eat is quite long. The risk that your four-legged friend will eat something from it is therefore comparatively high. If that happens and your darling suffers from symptoms of poisoning, you should in any case remain calm. Dial the number of your veterinarian or the veterinary emergency service. It is important to share all information with the specialists. In the best-case scenario, this means that you know what and how much the dog ate. It is even better if the packaging or the like is still there to understand the ingredients. Then go to the practice or clinic with the animal. Without medical advice, you should never act on your own and induce vomiting, for example.

Alice White

Written by Alice White

Alice White, a devoted pet lover and writer, has turned her boundless affection for animals into a fulfilling career. Originally dreaming of wildlife, her limited scientific background led her to specialize in animal literature. Now she happily spends her days researching and writing about various creatures, living her dream.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *