What to Do if a Dog is Bitten by a Bee

It is difficult to find a person who has never been stung by a bee in his life. Honey insect bites not only cause pain but also carry considerable danger: inflammation of the mucous membranes (if a bee has bitten, for example, on the eyelid), laryngeal edema (when bitten on the neck), allergic reactions. In short, there is little pleasant from the sting of a bee. What about our pets – dogs? After all, they, too, are often bitten by striped toilers-bees.

Animals can fall prey to bee sting through their own curiosity when they try to catch buzzing insects. And sometimes a fatal bite is a coincidence if the bee flew into the open window, and the dog simply ended up at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

Why a bee sting is dangerous for a dog

First, let’s figure out what happens when a stinging insect bites. If we are talking about bees, then they act like this: they dig into the body of a person or animal, leaving a sting in it, which has a poisonous sac and serrations. Therefore, the phrase “the dog was stung by a bee” rather than “bitten by a bee” sounds more correct, since bees cannot bite. But their other stinging “relatives” such as wasps, bumblebees, and hornets may well bite. By the way, the bee stings only once, after which it dies, leaving its sting weapon with part of the intestines in the body of an animal or human. The same wasps can sting multiple times, biting into the enemy again and again.

There are enough pictures on the Web that show dogs bitten by bees (or wasps). In the photo, animals with swollen noses or huge paws from edema look funny, but in fact, there is nothing funny here. A bee sting for a pet can turn into such troubles:

  • Allergies – As a rule, allergic reactions appear when a dog is simultaneously stung by several bees. However, even a single bite can cause such unpleasant consequences: severe drooling, breathing problems, swelling and itching in the area of ​​the bite, pain (especially if the bee has bitten the dog by the nose – the most painful place), sometimes gastrointestinal disorders, discharge from the nose and eyes, temperature increase;
  • Choking is not bad if the dog is bitten by a bee in the paw. But it is hazardous if the dog ate the bee (i.e., the insect flew into the animal’s mouth). In this case, the insect can sting the dog in the tongue, palate, throat, which will block oxygen;
  • Anaphylactic shock is a reaction commonly seen in dogs after being bitten by bees (and other insects). Actually, anaphylactic shock is a consequence of an allergy to bee stings. The symptoms of anaphylactic shock are redness and blistering of the skin, severe swelling of the skin and tissues, wheezing during breathing, plaintive whine, vomiting, muscle dysfunction (convulsions), collapse, involuntary emptying of the bladder and intestines.

It is important to note that slight swelling at the site of the bite and a single squeal of the dog is not a problem. However, if the owner noticed at least some alarming symptoms (for example, signs of anaphylactic shock), you should immediately go to the veterinarian or call him at home as soon as possible. Otherwise, the animal may die!

How to help a dog bitten by a bee

If the dog has been stung by a bee, it is important to first determine the bite site to gently remove the sting with disinfected tweezers. Then you will have to carry out such saving measures:

  1. Rinse the bite site with running water;
  2. Give the injured pet an antihistamine. It is better to calculate the dose of “human” tablets or drops with the help of a veterinarian, but if you cannot call the doctor, you should give the dog such an amount of the drug that is suitable for children;
  3. In addition to antihistamine drops or tablets, the wound should be lubricated with an anti-itch ointment (for example, with the same Fenistil or Tavegil in the form of an ointment);
  4. The wound from which the bee sting has already been removed should be treated with hydrogen peroxide;
  5. Apply a cold compress to the point of penetration of the sting for 15-20 minutes (frozen foods from the freezer wrapped in a towel are also suitable);
  6. In case of severe edema, it is appropriate to give the dog a diuretic;
  7. The dog is not loaded with food, but is given a lot to drink;
  8. If a dog has been bitten by a bee, the owner should carefully monitor the pet, breathing, the degree of swelling of the place pierced by the sting of an insect. Any alarming signals are a reason to seek help from a specialist.

We have now figured out what to do if the doggie is slightly affected by a bee sting. By the way, it will not be superfluous for any dog ​​owner to find out in advance from the veterinarian what remedies against bee (wasp, etc.) stings should be in the home medicine cabinet. The doctor will help you choose the right drugs, and also tell you how to calculate the exact dosage.

When calling your veterinarian as soon as possible

The owner of the dog should not self-medicate in such cases:

  1. If the dog was bitten by many bees at the same time;
  2. If the pet is clearly feeling bad: vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, severe swelling, etc.;
  3. If the muzzle of the animal has suffered from the bites (including when the insect was swallowed or stung the dog in the tongue or palate);
  4. If the pet’s health condition was not up to par before the bite (reduced immunity, senile or chronic diseases, etc.).

A seemingly harmless bee sting rarely turns into a disaster for dogs. And behind the funny-looking pictures, which depict dogs with swollen paws and noses, pain and danger are hidden.

Alice White

Written by Alice White

Alice White, a devoted pet lover and writer, has turned her boundless affection for animals into a fulfilling career. Originally dreaming of wildlife, her limited scientific background led her to specialize in animal literature. Now she happily spends her days researching and writing about various creatures, living her dream.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *