There are about half a thousand dog breeds in the world. Some of them are popular with us, others are not even heard. And what kind of dog is better for someone who has long dreamed of a four-legged friend?
Of course, it is impossible to identify a universal breed that will suit everyone. After all, someone will like a calm and obedient phlegmatic doggie, but someone will be crazy about an active and playful dog.
Choosing a Dog Breed
When choosing an animal, you should take into account the age, nature, and degree of employment of the owner. It will also be important where the person lives (in a small or spacious apartment, in a private house, or a country cottage). In addition, the owner may have his own preferences (for example, give one a small pocket dog, while the other will only fit a giant dog, someone will like a quiet dog that gives a voice only in exceptional cases, and someone will be happy with the dog bell).
- If the task is to get a newbie dog, it is better to give preference to an animal of a calm disposition without stubbornness and a tendency to dominate and aggression. Those who are planning to have their first dog can be considered a representative of one of the listed breeds as a candidate for the role of their pet: golden and labrador retrievers, Newfoundland, collie (Scottish shepherd), pug, St. Bernard, poodle. These dogs are loyal to the guests of the house, are easy to train, obedient, and can find a common language even with a talkative and open master-extrovert, even with a closed and quiet introvert;
- Parents preparing to buy an animal for their baby should choose a pet with a good-natured disposition. At the same time, it is better to have a dog for a child of small dimensions, so that the child can independently take his pet for a walk. We list the breeds that are suitable for families with children: Welsh Corgi, French Bulldogs, Cocker Spaniels, Pekingese, Maltese lapdogs, Bichon Frize, Poodles (medium and small), Sheltie, Beagle;
- Sometimes elderly people plan to buy a dog, who, due to their age, will not be able to spend 2-3 hours every day walking the pet. In this case, you should pay attention to the calmest breeds: Basset Hound, Pug, English Bulldog, Bloodhound, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Japanese Chin, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frize;
- A person who has a lot of free time can afford to buy an active dog that can play, run, or simply accompany its owner wherever he goes for most of the day. The most indefatigable breeds include, first of all, sled dogs: Laikas (East Siberian, Karelian-Finnish, Yakut, Russian-European, etc.), Alaskan Malamutes, Huskies (Siberian, Sakhalin, Alaskan). Other breeds that do not know when they are tired include hunting dogs: hounds (Dalmatian, Russian, Estonian, Austrian hounds), greyhounds (Greyhound, Afghan Hound, Saluki, Whippet), or Pointing Dogs (English Pointers, Hungarian Vizsla, Kurzhaar, English Setter );
- For residents of apartment buildings, it will be important to have a dog with a calm character, not prone to barking and howling over the slightest trifles, since noisy animals bring a lot of inconvenience to the owners themselves and their neighbors. The quietest dog breeds include Collie, Irish Setter, Cane Corso, Japanese Chin, Papillon, and Shiba Inu. Although it must be understood that even representatives of the listed breeds can make noise day and night if they are not raised correctly;
- For those who want to have a dog in the apartment, it is better to make a choice in favor of an unpretentious pet in the care. And a dog that sheds little can be considered unpretentious. Such a pet does not have to be combed out and bathed often. For those who do not want to spend a lot of time caring for the animal’s coat, it is better to choose the following breed of dog: poodle (of any size), Airedale, Chinese Crested, Italian Italian Greyhound, Basenji, Mittel, and Giant Schnauzer;
- It is not easy for an allergic person to choose a dog, for whom tears begin to flow next to almost every animal, a stuffy nose, shortness of breath, a rash on the body, and severe itching of the skin appear. Allergy-prone individuals may be advised to get a hairless dog. These breeds include the Chinese Crested, Mexican and Peruvian Hairless Dogs, and the American Hairless Terrier. Some dogs with wool also belong to hypoallergenic breeds: Maltese lapdogs and Bichon Frise, Poodles, Kerry Blue Terriers, Labradoodles;
- Not only owners of large living spaces, but also owners of one-room apartments want to have a pet. In such a situation, it is better to have a small dog that does not need extensive space for play and rest: Shih Tzu, Japanese Chin, West Highland White Terrier, Pekingese, Russian Toy, Yorkshire Terrier, Chihuahua, Rabbit Dachshund;
- Many potential owners who dream of buying a puppy may be interested in the question of which breeds are loyal to cats. Representatives of the following breeds can truly make friends with cats: Golden and Labrador Retrievers, St. Bernard, Newfoundland, German Boxer, Cocker Spaniel (English and American). Just do not forget that making friends with a cat is the owner’s task;
- If a potential owner plans to take a dog to a private house with a garden, where a spacious aviary and a warmed booth could be located, you can choose one of the following breeds: Alaskan Malamute, Samoyed, several varieties of Husky, German, Swiss, Central Asian and Caucasian Shepherd Dogs, Bobtail. Dogs of the mentioned breeds tolerate cold weather and temperature fluctuations very well. However, this does not mean that the animal can be kept in the winter directly in the snow;
- To guard a private home, a large dog with a fearless disposition is required, a representative of a guard or guard breed is preferable. You can bring a German, Central Asian, or Caucasian shepherd dog, a Moscow watchdog, an American Akita, a Neapolitan mastiff into the yard. Doberman and Rottweiler can also protect the life of the owner and his property, but it is advisable to keep these dogs in the house since in severe frost they can freeze even in a warm booth;
- If living space allows and there is a desire to have a large dog, you can think about buying a puppy of one of these breeds: Great Dane, St. Bernard, Tibetan or English Mastiff, Leonberger, Newfoundland, Irish Wolfhound, Moscow Watchdog. Also, Caucasian and Central Asian Shepherds can be attributed to large dogs;
- Surely, when choosing a dog, many are interested in what is the life expectancy of a representative of a particular breed. Long-lived dogs include Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers, Pomeranian, Toy Poodles, Lhasa Apso, Aussie, Shih Tzu, Jack Russell Terriers. These lucky ones, with good care and timely treatment of all kinds of ailments, can easily live 18-20 years, and if they are lucky, then cross this threshold. But other breeds of dogs (especially large ones) sometimes do not reach 10 years;
- For those who are planning to buy a dog, it will be important to find out which breeds have the best health. Dogs that are least likely to get sick include: Poodles and Dachshunds of all sizes, Beagles, Shiba Inu, Central Asian and Caucasian shepherds, Siberian Huskies, and various varieties of terriers (Norfolk, German Game terriers, Irish, Yorkshire and Australian Terriers, Cairn Terriers, etc.);
- Any owner will undoubtedly be proud if a puppy of such a breed, which is considered one of the most highly intelligent, appears in his house. Among the smartest dog breeds, the leaders are German and East European Shepherds, Golden and Labrador Retrievers, English Setters, Australian Shepherd Dogs, and Poodles.