As there are many fans of dogs, some are crazy about cats. Indeed, both those and other animals have a lot of advantages. Cats know how to heal joint pain and relieve stress with their measured rumbling, while dogs guard the house against ill-wishers and help people in need. It is difficult to decide which of these pets is better. And what about a potential owner who stands at a crossroads, choosing between a cat and a dog?
Pros and cons of cats
Cats are one of the most popular animals on Earth, the number of these amazing creatures on the planet has long exceeded 500 million. And this figure is approximate since only pets were taken into account when calculating, but poor homeless fellows were not included in this figure. Do cats have dignity? There are a lot of them, let’s try to list just a few:
- Cats treat owners. And this is not a myth, but a scientifically proven skill. Sound therapy of any cat, regardless of breed, promotes the speedy healing of bones and healing of diseased joints, pacifies heart pain and respiratory problems, calms inflammation, removes its owner from depression;
- Cats are really clean. It is believed that they spend 30-40% of their waking hours washing their fur coats. This means that the house will not have an unpleasant odor from the animal;
- Cats are usually unobtrusive. Yes, many of them love affection but in fairly limited quantities. As a rule, purrs know how to entertain themselves on their own, but dogs will have to devote much more time. Buying a cat in the first place, you can be sure that communication with her will not require much time, in the future, it will be enough for raising a dog;
- Cats do not need to be taken outside daily. This is a valuable advantage over dogs, which you still have to walk in the rain or cold. Cats can relieve themselves at home by making puddles and heaps in the litter box;
- Keeping a cat is cheaper for the owner than keeping a dog (if you do not take into account pocket dogs that eat little). Agree that any cat, even a big Maine Coon cat, will eat less in comparison, say, with an Alabai or Great Dane;
- Cats are quiet animals. Yes, they can sing serenades during a sexual hunt, but the rest of the time they are much quieter than dogs, which not only bark, but sometimes howl;
- Cats do not need a lot of space, they can be kept even in a small apartment. Dogs need more space;
- Cats rid the house of uninvited guests in the form of rats or mice, which often annoy the owners of private houses. And some mustache even catch cockroaches and centipedes;
- Cats live longer than dogs. On average, a domesticated pussy with good care can last up to 15-18 years (and this is not the limit), but among dogs, only baby dogs like a Chihuahua are considered centenarians;
- The cat can be safely left in the apartment for a couple of hours, and even for a day (provided that the animal has access to water and food). After eating, the pet will most likely curl up into a ball and doze off. This is important for busy people who do not spend so much time within the walls of the apartment. You can’t leave a dog alone for long.
Well, cats have a lot of merits. But these animals also have disadvantages, which we will list below:
- Cats are very capricious. Unlike dogs, they may not put their owner in anything. Often domestic cats or cats have such a dominant character that they try to do everything despite the owner: they sleep in the bed, not on their own bed, pee not in the tray, but under the bed;
- Cats are almost impossible to train. They can learn some commands (for example, “You can’t!”), But you still can’t get such obedience as from dogs;
- Games with cats often fail, namely scratches and bites. Moreover, they can cause pain both to a stranger and to their own owner, if, say, he touched the tailor stroked a little longer than was possible;
- Cats hate to travel. Being in a car or public transport is stressful for them. While driving, many cats scream, try to run away, and scratch the owner’s hands. Dogs in this regard are much more mobile and calmer;
- Some cat owners complain that they cause significant property damage: they gnaw flowers and turn over pots, tear up the upholstery of furniture. Let’s note in fairness that not all pussies sin this;
- Usually, cats shed more profusely than dogs, unless we are talking about hairless breeds like the Sphynx or Levkoy;
- Almost all cats are uncommunicative animals. They may ask for affection occasionally, but they will spend most of their time alone. They will not tolerate every minute of communication in the form of stroking and scratching. This is worth considering for those people who have small children;
- Many cats, especially cats, love to tag. And not always only in the “love” period. The unpleasant smell of cat urine can irritate even the most patient owner. It can be very difficult to wean a pet from such activity;
- Cats are vindictive creatures, and therefore they remember even a small offense for a long time. Dogs “cool down” much faster.
Conclusion: the cat is the perfect pet for calm introverts, busy, elderly, and, oddly enough, lazy people.
Pros and cons of dogs
Now it’s time to talk about dogs. These companion animals, like cats, have advantages and disadvantages. First, let’s talk about the advantages:
- Dogs are faithful animals. Suffice it to recall the stories about the devotees of Fido or Hachiko. Having established friendly relations with the puppy, the owner can be sure that the animal will be a truly faithful friend until the very end. It is probably difficult to find another creature who is so selflessly and sincerely attached to man;
- Even the most slender dog can drive away enemies from the home by raising a resounding bark. What can we say about a large dog? The cat’s meowing will not frighten anyone;
- Walking the dog is a great exercise for the owner. Yes, it’s a waste of time, the need to get up and go outside in hot and cold weather. However, daily walks in the fresh air are beneficial to the owner, or rather his heart and blood vessels, respiratory organs, brain;
- Dogs are not only watchmen but also guards. It’s not so scary with them, say, going out late at night for bread. With a cat, you can’t afford it;
- Well-trained dogs are good babysitters for children. They will be happy to play with babies without showing aggression. As we mentioned above, you won’t be able to play with cats for a long time;
- Dogs are hard workers. They can be rescuers, shepherds, hunters (more precisely, assistants to hunters), guides, even geologists. Also, dogs are good doctors, they help fight depression and loneliness, have a positive effect on the condition of people with Down syndrome and autism;
- The dog can accompany its owner on travel, walking, or road trips around the city. For example, a doggie can be taken out into nature, but a cat will simply run away.
Although dogs have a lot of weighty advantages, these animals are not without disadvantages. Here are some of them:
- Caring for a dog is an energy-consuming business. That is worth at least daily washing of paws after a walk and the need for regular bathing. And if the pet also has long hair, then it is worth mentioning the frequent combing. At the same time, not all dogs, unfortunately, are distinguished by cleanliness, and therefore the owner may have to daily wipe the eyes of his pet, the fur on the muzzle after eating;
- Some dogs literally cannot be let off the leash as they may run away. Besides, a gambling pet can chase a neighbor’s cat and fall under the wheels of a car;
- An ill-bred dog is a real living weapon. Suffice it to recall the stories when animals mutilated their owners, although no one expected aggression from them;
- The dog should be given a lot more time than the cat. The owner will inevitably have to spend his precious minutes walking, training, playing with the dog;
- Many of the small breed dogs, regardless of training, have a rather absurd character and do not tolerate when the owner has other pets beside themselves (for example, children or other pets);
- More fuss from the dog. Unlike cats, these animals are more active and restless. They are unlikely to be able to stay in one room without leaving, most likely, the whole house will be at their disposal;
- A dog is a lot of confusion if it lives in an apartment. The owner must be prepared that the pet can covet shoes, TV remote control, curtains, carpet, and other things from idleness;
- A dog can put its owner in an awkward position by making a bunch in the wrong place (for example, at the entrance) or barking, or even biting a neighbor. Of course, this applies to not too educated dogs, but still.
Conclusion: the dog is suitable for people who have a lot of free time, for the patient and active owners with a moderately tough character. Those owners who want to buy a fighting or hunting dog will have to think carefully about buying a four-legged pet (they certainly need tough training).
Who to buy first: a cat or a dog
So which one is better to choose: a cat or a dog? There is no single answer and there cannot be, both of these animals have many advantages. The most important thing is that both a cat and a dog, with proper education, can become real friends for a person, who love him despite everything.
And if you plan to take both a dog and a cat under your wing, which of them is better to take first? Ideally, take both animals at a young age to raise them together. If this option is unacceptable, then it makes sense, perhaps, first to buy a dog, train it, and only then acquire a cat, paying special attention to their acquaintance. The fact is that dogs get used to new pets more easily than cats, which for a long, long time can conceal a grudge against their owner, and never forgive him for the appearance of a hated barking puppy.