Are Beechnuts Poisonous to Dogs?

Autumn turns forests and meadows into a huge adventure toy for the dog. But the colorful landscape of leaves and nuts can be a danger for the fur nose: If the dog eats beechnuts, it can lead to slight poisoning.

What are Beechnuts?

Beech nuts, formerly also known as beeches, are the fruits of the common beech (Fagus sylvatica). Beeches from the age of 40 produce many of the three-edged fruits that are reminiscent of nuts, especially in dry, hot summers. Beechnuts are about 1.5 centimeters tall and fall from the treetops to the ground from October. The fruits often break open when they fall down and release the brown seeds.

Are Beechnuts Poisonous to Dogs?

Birds and squirrels like to eat beechnuts to replenish their winter supplies. Some dogs also show interest in the brown nuts. The fact that the dog eats beechnuts while walking in the beech forest should remain the exception: Beechnuts are slightly poisonous for dogs. In their raw state, they contain several toxins:

Oxalic acid can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. If larger quantities are consumed, kidney stones or urinary stones can form.

Fagin is trimethylamine that is mildly toxic to dogs and can cause abdominal pain, tremors, and discomfort.

Hydrocyanic acid and alkaloids increase the pulse and respiratory rate and, in larger quantities, can lead to circulatory failure and respiratory paralysis.

What to Do If the Dog Has Eaten Beechnuts?

If your four-legged friend ever eats raw beechnuts, there is usually no need to panic. The amount of poison absorbed is very low when eating individual nuts.

Only when consuming larger amounts is there a danger to the dog.

However, if symptoms of poisoning occur, consult a veterinarian as a precaution.

Can Dogs Eat Cooked Beechnuts?

The poisonous substances in the nuts can be rendered harmless by boiling and cooking the beechnuts. However, roasting or cooking the tree fruits is now out of fashion. In the past, beechnuts were used more often as food or in the form of beechnut oil for humans. Individually cooked beechnuts do not harm the dog but are not suitable as a regular dog snack due to their high-fat content. Better to use other nuts.

Our Recommendation

If your dog has a tendency to eat things off the ground, avoid beech forests and take a different route when walking in the fall months. In order to avoid poisoning from plants or foreign bodies, it is best to get your furry friend used to dangerous behavior step by step.

Alice White

Written by Alice White

Alice White, a devoted pet lover and writer, has turned her boundless affection for animals into a fulfilling career. Originally dreaming of wildlife, her limited scientific background led her to specialize in animal literature. Now she happily spends her days researching and writing about various creatures, living her dream.

Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *