Among small-sized dogs, who happily play the role of a companion and a pet, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is popular in the past for its hunting habits.
The hunting and guarding instinct, which is a feature of Charles Spaniels, is now practically lost. These dogs have become friends and companions, which prevents them from being used as protectors of property.
They have a pronounced characteristic such as intelligence. These are very quick-witted pets; even soft people without leadership qualities easily find a contact.
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is valued not only for its excellent appearance but also for its livable, balanced disposition. This pet, possessing natural nobility, quickly becomes a devoted friend. His peaceful character and amazing calmness without sharp manifestations of aggression are noted. He willingly plays with children and is friendly to all household members. On walks, he is active, runs after objects thrown by the owner, enjoying the intense movement.
Education and training
With pronounced intelligence, quick-witted and good memory, King Spaniels quickly understand the requirements imposed on them. They easily master commands, willingly repeat movements and postures. Begin training from the first days of the puppy’s residence in the house. At the initial stage, he must understand his nickname and respond to it.
Gradually, the tasks get more complicated. The assignment of indoor rules of conduct requires special attention. All negative habits should be strictly, but without punishment, suppressed. This will eliminate the appearance of an already adult dog on the bed or table.
All household members, including children, can deal with education issues since Cavalier King Charles does not single out a leader.
Care and maintenance
Loving comfortable dogs need short walks a day with play and training elements. In autumn, it is recommended to dress them in a waterproof suit, and in winter in warm clothes. To keep them looking good all the time, you need to provide several procedures. The coat is gently combed daily with a brush and then with a comb. This results in a gorgeous silky cascade. After two months, the hairs between the toes and on the paws are trimmed for hygienic purposes, preventing the formation of tangles. Long ears with a characteristic thick coat require weekly sterile cleaning soaked in warm boiled water. This measure serves as the prevention of purulent otitis media.
Bathing is part of the care and maintenance of spaniels. The frequency of this procedure is on average two times per six months. The professional shampoo is used, focusing on the sensitivity of the pet’s skin.
Organization of a ratio based on professional feed is considered the most convenient. They contain all the elements and vitamins necessary for life.
Varieties are selected, focusing on the age and health of the pet. It is recommended to give preference to the “premium” class. For puppies, the daily allowance is divided into five servings. Adults are fed in the morning and evening.
If your dog is initially taught to eat a natural diet, use healthy body products. Lean meat is the basis. Veal is given raw, and turkey or lamb should be boiled, like offal.
The list of pluses is difficult to complete: this breed is considered a successful combination of plus size without characteristic problems such as a quarrelsome nature, soreness, and uncontrollability:
- Cavaliers have a cheerful disposition, good-natured, very attached to people. It is the perfect companion dog for toddlers and seniors. The cavalier is ideal in a large family where there are children of different ages for the elderly because the dog loves to sleep on the owner’s lap.
- Adaptability manifests itself in how easily she makes contact with her relatives and other animals: she will get along well with all the pets in the house, and the saying about a cat and a dog will be remembered at home only as a joke.
- The attractive appearance of the dog is an additional plus. Bright contrasting color draws attention to the animal. Despite the long coat, the breed standard does not require much hassle of cutting and grooming. All that is required is to trim the excess hair between the toes, otherwise, it may feel.
- A small dog does not require large expenses for food, does not take up extra space in the apartment, because it is smaller than some cats!
- Love for games and outdoor activities will prevent the owners from sitting at home. The owners appreciate the cleverness of the gentlemen. Unlike small and silly such spaniels, they are perfectly trainable, they have an excellent memory. They learn more slowly than shepherd dogs or huskies, but they learn what they have learned quickly and reliably.
- The breed is perfect for novice owners. Even an agreeable grandmother can raise an intelligent dog that does not strive to become a leader. Unpretentious content, a simple diet will not cause any difficulties. You just need to love them.
Small breed faults are not a reason to give up a great, friendly dog. This list of cautions will help you figure out if you can create the right environment for your new family member and raise them healthy.
- A small animal can hardly tolerate dampness and low temperatures. It will not work to keep it in the yard, to leave it in the drafts in the booth. For walking dogs in low temperatures, the comb will need a sweater or overalls.
- The long hair of the dog requires some attention: the gentleman is scratched with a stiff brush at least a couple of times a week, matted lumps appear. Witty owners even put on the dog a special hat for every feeding so that the ears remain clean and do not fall on the plate.
- Dogs get fat easily, their appetite is excellent. The animal was bred for hunting, the need for movement and calories remains high. The dog’s diet will have to be calculated, and begging will have to be stopped. However, joint jogging is a great alternative.
- From time to time, dogs are ready to cheat, they are pushed to tricks by the hunting nature. They may well hide the owner’s slippers or other small necessary things in the hope of attention.