Eating at an early age forms the basis for a healthy adult dog’s life. Therefore, the puppy’s diet should consist only of the most useful and suitable products for him. How to organize meals for a French Bulldog puppy?
How to Properly Organize Meals for a Little Frenchie?
Complementary feeding usually begins in the nursery, when the puppy is one month old. Kids are treated to vegetables, cereals. Also, be sure to give foods containing calcium, such as yogurt, fermented baked milk. Then they begin to gradually introduce meat. Low-fat varieties should make up 40% of the total diet. Babies stop feeding on mother’s milk as early as 2-3 months.
Later, when the dog gets into a new home, it is recommended to feed him for some time with the same products as in the kennel. It must be transferred to a different type of food gradually. Even if the puppy was fed dry food in the nursery, in a few weeks it can be switched to natural food and vice versa.
What to Give From Natural Food?
The natural diet of a French Bulldog puppy should include the following foods:
- Meat. Low-fat varieties, without bones and veins. You need to give it daily boiled or raw (after defrosting).
- By-products. The lung, heart, or stomach, as an analog of meat, is offered to a small pet no more than 1-2 times a week.
- A fish. Boiled pink salmon, hake, or cod are given 1-2 times a week.
- Milk. Pasteurized or boiled is allowed to be given every day.
- Cereals. Porridge made from oats, rice, or buckwheat is allowed to be given every day.
- Eggs. No more than 2 times every 7 days.
- Vegetables, fruits, herbs. Apples, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, pumpkin, cucumber, bananas are given in a raw, grated form. If there are no negative reactions from the gastrointestinal tract, then every day.
- Oils. Natural vegetable or butter fats can be given every day.
You can treat your pet with cheese, dried ribs, bread, or croutons. In addition, the dog must have constant access to water.
As for the proportions, then up to 70-80% of the diet should be occupied by fats and proteins. 20% is allocated for carbohydrates, 10% for fiber.
The main thing that must be adhered to in feeding the puppy with natural products is their freshness. Food should be freshly prepared with no signs of sourness.
Feeding Dry Food
You can buy special puppy food at any pet store. It is much more convenient to use it. Each package has dosage recommendations for a specific age. In addition, industrial feed is already enriched with essential minerals and vitamins. In the case of natural nutrition, vitamin supplements must be purchased separately.
What you need to pay attention to when feeding a little “Frenchie” by drying is the quality of the feed. For this breed, you can choose from specially designed lines. It is better that these are premium food. For allergy sufferers, food from the “holistic” series is suitable. In addition to pellets, you can buy wet food for your puppy, which will be especially useful at the stage of changing teeth.
You cannot treat the puppy with food from the master’s table, as well as mix dry food with natural food. New foods are introduced into the diet gradually.